Inducted March 2019
Tom began his running at an early age, competing in CYM Track and Field as well as the City of Wilmington Summer Development track meets. It was at St. Mark’s High School that Tom found his calling for distance running after joining the school’s cross-country team in his freshman year. He competed in Cross Country and Track throughout his tenure. In his senior year during the fall of 1975 he finished 7th in the State Championship meet earning All-State honors and helping his team to a 2nd place finish.
Following his high school career there was a long break from running until he felt the call of distance running while helping as an assistant coach for the Holy Angels CYM program in 2008. Gradually improving his running fitness, he began participating in local 5ks and was recruited to the PCVRC USATF team in the fall of 2009. Joining the club in 2010, Tom became a regular participant in the USATF series and a frequent contributor the club’s team scoring. During the past 8 years, Tom has been recognized as a top age group competitor in both the USATF road and trail series. In addition, he has been recognized as one of the top 10 age grade competitors across the series in several years including this past season.
In the fall of 2010, Rich Szymanski recognized Tom’s eagerness to focus on competitive races and engaged him to assist with recruiting and organizing the club’s participants in the USATF series. Beginning in 2012, Tom assumed the lead role of USATF Race Team coordinator for the club. Under Tom’s guidance over the past 6 years, the club has seen growth in member participation and continued success in the regional USATF club competitions. During his tenure as USATF coordinator the club had several significant accomplishments including:
- 2013, M55-59 3rd place team finish at the USATF Master’s National 5k Cross Country Championships (First club participation in a USATF National event)
- 2014, M55-59 6th place team finish at the USATF Club Nationals Cross Country Championships
- 2014, over 60 club members participated in the USATF Club Nationals Cross Country Championships (with assistance from Rich)
- 2014 & 2015 PCVRC earned 1st place in the MidAtlantic Grand Prix series (2014 was the first time in club history)
- 2017 PCVRC earned 1st place in the MidAtlantic Off-Road series for the first time
Tom has previously been recognized for his contributions to the club receiving:
- Rookie of the Year 2010
- Volunteer of the Year 2012
- Member of the Year 2014
Tom is stepping down from his role as USATF club coordinator at the end of 2019. He plans to continue contributing to the club through participation in regional events.
Congratulations and thank you, Tom! Welcome to the PCVRC Hall of Fame!